Skip to main content

Digital Bridge Vs Digital Gap – The Digital War between Parents & Children

You might get confused with the wordings I put there as the title of the article. It's pretty simple. Why we want to digitize everything around us? One can say that is for making our work much easier or some might say to connect with everything so fast. There are so many answers can be out there for this question.
But it’s true and I also admit that with this digital evolution people do get connected much further and also it has become a bridge to the people who live far away from their loved ones and not only that, it has become a media to reconnect with your childhood friends that you haven’t been touched with so long.
I’m writing this article not to highlight the benefits of the digitization. It’s a known fact that it has provided so many opportunities to the community, the society. Even though this evolution started to happen few decades ago, the effect on it transferred to Sri Lanka in a slowly manner. But right now the youth generation in Sri Lanka is very much digitally literate I must say. I admit that there’s an inequity but with the rapid growth of digital infrastructures and technology solutions it will cover up most of the parts in the country.

Image Source: http://childrensministryonline.com/book-club-parent-chat/

The young generation is so much into it but what about the parents? Are they digitally literate as same as their children? This is where the issue begins. Even millennial parents are not that much into this digital transformation. So with that it will create a huge gap between the parent and the kid. Even this gap can be created in a family where the kid is much more educated than his or her parents. Because the kid thinks that since his or her parents are not educated enough they have no idea about what he and she has gone through or else they think about it as a humiliation.
Same thing happens with the kids who have digital illiterate parents. Even though their parents are educated now most of the kids think that they are just a bunch of stupid people who have no idea about what exactly happening around the world because they are not active in web surface. So even when they are educate enough they think that their parents don’t know what these kids are going through.
With this mindset it is kind of difficult to tackle some social matters of these young people. With their digital life they lose one of the best human qualities which is empathy. I don’t agree to the fact that being digitize will destroy the human qualities, but without proper guidance that can easily be happened. People do live in a virtual world and they really love to live inside that because they can behave whatever the way they want as they ever dream of. Everything is possible there. Even you can virtually kill a person. And since you are directly working with a machine to communicate with another human being, you have no idea what that person really think and feel about you sometimes. So these young minds lose the human touch little by little and when they hit by a huge emotional attack they just get confused. They don’t know what they should do and for them, it’s really hard to handle. And at the same time they think they are the only living creatures in this world who has gone through such an experience. They don’t really have a good friend to talk to even though they have thousands and thousands of friends in their Facebook, Twitter or whatsoever social media network. Even they are reluctant to express what they feel to their parents because they think they don’t have such an exposure about life since they have no idea about the world like these kids do have. They measure that with the digital literacy rate of their parents.
This is something which can be a direct impact to higher suicide rate in Sri Lanka. Young minds get depressed and then they jumped in to quick easy decisions since they cannot handle complex feelings they have. Even they are not seeking help from their parents and parents even don’t know how to help them since they also kind of in a situation where they cannot figure out how they can get close their kid as the way kid want. So this barrier has to be eliminated. 
One of the best things we can do is to educate parents on how they should deal with digital literate kids. And also if we can pitch parents segment at the same time we educate kids about these technologies then that would be a win-win situation. There are so many initiatives happening around the country to educate kids on coding, robotics, IoTs and lot more and this really a good thing. And also it’s glad to see such initiatives has become popular in the country. But at the same time if we can address this issue we have between parents and kids then I do believe we can create a future workforce who will not only be intelligent but a strong workforce emotionally as well as spiritually rich.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Did I lose Something??

You were with her.. After You said You love me But.... why should I cry?? Did I lose Something?? I listened ... the way You feel about her But.... why should I cry?? Did I lose Something?? I shared .... The pain of Your past But.... why should I cry?? Did I lose Something?? I realized ... I'm not the one in Your dreams.. But.... why should I cry?? Did I lose Something?? I cried... Because I love You.. But.... why should I cry?? Did I lose Something?? ..............??? I should Cry my love..!! Coz... You are not something... You are my EVERYTHING ....!!!

3rd South Asian Wushu Tournament..!!

This time it was held in Dhaka - the capital of Bangladesh...on 23rd - 25th of April 2008.. There were Six teams from South Asian Region..They were Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.. There were around 130 players..India got the Championship and the Sri Lankan team got the 2nd Place... I'm so happy coz i was also there, in my Sri Lankan Team. I got 3 silver medals from my three events..No doubt about ma happiness he he.. :) I met so much of good Bangladesh people there...Their appearance is damn equal to Sri Lankan People.. (but it's kind of hard to find a fat person there) .. :) I take this opportunity to thank my Bangladesh Friends for their Support... Financially they are not rich but Emotionally THEY ARE MULTI MILLIONAIRES...!! Thank U once Again My friends..!!

My Love 4 U

I don't have a sexy look, I don't have a nice figure, I don't have anything u dreaming of, But I really love U.... I know that u have secrets, I know that U have soo many Girl Friends, I know that u flirt with them But Still I really love U.. I know I never lie to U I know I can die for U But now I know I can't fight for u But still I really love U... I don't know why I love U.. I don't know why U lie to me.. Now I know that U are not mine.. But Still... I really love U.. Love U 4Ever..!!